Inspired by the classic Prime Time from 1978, Little PrimalTap captures the highly distinctive sonic imprint of this quirky, and well-loved (by those in the know) vintage digital delay. Don’t be fooled by its simple interface, Little PrimalTap lets you unleash your creative urges to echo, loop, warp, distort, mangle, or create cacophonous cascades of otherworldly sounds.
The Primal Sound
The Prime Time was used by a wide variety of artists back in the 80’s (that was its prime, heh) for rich guitar delay, chorus, flange and such, and it did a great job with those things but the really unique character of it’s sound came from one of its limitations. In an attempt to get more out of the technology (and probably stay under budget) it had a feature called Multiply that halved the sample rate each time the delay was doubled. Sound weird? It does indeed. And it’s just the kind of weird that we love.
Twist And Shout
On this little beast, turning knobs is where it’s at and that’s how you get to hear all the oddities it can create. The Multiply knob supplies extra delay time that has drastic tonal changes with each increase. The Adjust knob creates pitch shifts, chorus, or flange when moved. The Feedback and Input drive tie it all together to allow for sounds just not found on any of the “normal” delay plug-ins. Abnormal is the new black.
Yes, the Feedback can go infinite, and do everything from classic delay style looping to old school sci-fi space noise. Oh, and we doubled the massive 256ms of delay time from the original (128ms if you had the non-expanded one) to 512ms so you’ve got some serious looping power if you need it. It’s ok to let it get out of control, unlike the old days where you could blow your speakers (or your ears) if you didn’t stay on top of the feedback. Little PrimalTap lets you use it as another layer of sonic colour, and even opens the door for synthesizer type sounds.
- Get vintage digital delay sounds inspired by the quirky Prime Time echo
- Create grimy, lo-fi echos and wild pitch jumps with the Multiply knob
- Warp and bend the echos by tweaking the Adjust control
- Use automation to bring your tracks to life
- Operating system: Mac OS X 10.8 or later, Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation
- Plug-in formats (both 32 and 64-bit): AAX Native, AAX AudioSuite, VST, and Audio Units (AU)
- Supported sample rates: Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- Supported host applications: Pro Tools (10.3.5 or later), Live, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Logic, Digital Performer
- Other requirements: iLok.com account
No refunds are possible on digital products – view our full Refund Policy here.