The new filter display speeds up workflow with the selection of multiple filters at once, and presents a unified response curve with stereo separation, as well as a high-resolution spectrum display.
Modulation signals are now visualized at both sources and targets with animated collars, while the source flow area gives an eye-catching overview of all active modulations, and floating slot panels enable collective balancing of all sources modulating the currently selected control. The darker colour scheme is easier on the eye over long sessions, and when it’s time to really get into details, the gorgeous new full screen mode maximizes the filtering workspace.
Characterful new filters
The beating heart of Volcano is, of course, its bank of four analogue-modelled filters. Expanding on the already-established High-, Low- and Band-Pass types, Volcano 3 more than doubles the options with the addition of vintage-style Bell, High/Low Shelf, Notch and All-Pass modes. Just like the original trio, these are all highly non-linear for a palpably analog sound, and can be switched through an array of sonic colorations using Volcano’s transformative Style settings. Each filter also now incorporates its own variable saturation circuit, further increasing the character-shaping potential, along with a 6 dB/octave slope option; and independent volume and pan controls bring a whole new level of depth to parallel routing setups.
Beyond its stunning redesigned interface and versatile new filter types, Volcano 3 is erupting with useful new functional additions, refinements and tweaks. Many of these are to be found in the modulation section, such as adjustable Attack, Decay and Release curves for the Envelope Generator, a transient detection mode for the Envelope Follower, and the new Slider: a vertical-only variant on the XY Controller. Then there’s the new High Quality (4x oversampling) processing mode, four interface size options, the ability to rename modulation sources, and a full overhaul of the preset library, taking advantage of Volcano 3’s new filter types and features.
- Up to four simultaneous filters, each drawing on an extensive range of modes and styles for an infinite palette of coloration
- Wide variety of parallel, serial and hybrid routing schemes in Stereo, L/R and M/S modes
- Fully redesigned, highly streamlined interface
- Rebuilt filter control panel, including selection and adjustment of multiple filters at once, integrated spectrum analyzer and optional piano display
- Even better sounding filter algorithms
- Independent Drive control for each filter
- Vintage-style Bell, High/Low Shelf, Notch and All-Pass filter modes, and extra 6 dB/octave slope option
- Per-filter level and pan controls
- Endless modulation options, with as many 16-step XLFOs, XY controllers, envelope generators, envelope followers and MIDI sources as desired
- New real-time modulation visualization of both targets and sources, and floating slot panels on all targets
- High Quality (4x oversampling) mode
- Curve shaping of Attack, Decay and Release Envelope Generator stages
- Envelope Follower transient detection mode
- Resizable interface with full-screen mode
- Carefully designed and curated factory presets, plus support for earlier Volcano presets
- All the usual features FabFilter users have come to expect: perfectly fine-tuned knobs and controllers, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample accurate automation, SSE optimization and more
- Carefully designed and curated factory presets, plus support for earlier Timeless presets
- Interactive delay and filter displays
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration
- Various interface sizes and Full Screen mode
- Curve control in EGs and transient detection in EFs
- Easy drag-and-drop modulation with 50-slot modulation matrix
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces
- Interactive MIDI Learn
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
- Unique per-component presets for modulation sources and tap patterns
- Endless modulation options, with all the 16-step XLFOs, XY controllers, envelope generators, envelope followers and MIDI sources you will ever need
- Smart Parameter Interpolation
- Undo, redo and A/B switch features
- Operating System: mac macOS 10.12 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel or Apple Silicon processor
- Additional Requirements: AU or VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Supported Plugins: VST-2, VST-3, AU
- Operating System: windows Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
No refunds are possible on digital products – view our full Refund Policy here.